selected poems and writings
Occupy Wall Street
Occupy Wall Street
We need global
citizens for some sit-ins
I say we all meet
on Wall Street
and lock down--
lock the whole block down!
[Drew Dellinger, 2001]
I take exception to the rule
of the greedy and the cruel.
This fall, school’s in session
and the lesson is Wall Street.
It’s time for action
and your name’s on the call sheet.
It’s time we all meet
and name what it is:
the game has been rigged
to enrich corporate
business interests that sent this economy spinning.
Charlie Sheen is not the only clueless dude that thinks he’s winning.
See, the one percent done spent all the rent.
And now the rent’s due, so we’re coming to a tent near you.
We’re the like-minded ninety-nine percent
standing up to corruption with loving dissent.
We stand for justice,
and the future,
and all of humanity.
Embracing all people.
Yes, even Sean Hannity.
The message is simple:
greed, injustice, and eco-destruction have to go.
Pay attention corporate media. We’ll try to say it slow.
It’s time to
rock the nation,
rock this occupation.
It’s time for the people to peacefully fight back.
Tell Congress and the media we’re taking the mic back.
Tell the jaded it’s that long-awaited revolution.
Put away the pepper spray and re-read the Constitution.
These cops are paid to go crazy, yo.
But we’re peaceful.
Don’t tase me, bro.
We came to incite insight,
unite and discuss this.
We came to hang, and to bang the drums of justice.
with our love and our light.
the earth and the sky,
and live with all beings
as a planet-wide tribe.
Occupy the divine mind residing inside.
See, I’m the type writer
that’s known to light fires
and prone to inspire
the moment’s own higher desire.
‘Cause history knows it’s the time
for resisting the team at the scene of the crime.
Tell your friends I’ll meet ‘em there at Freedom Square.
They can’t stop us, from Seattle to Chiapas.
It’s our mission to envision
what comes after the catastrophe.
How do we move past
the capitalist disaster?
Our communities need us.
We are all leaders.
How could we ask for anything less than the future?
(October 13, 2011)
Drew Dellinger is a speaker, poet, writer, teacher, and founder of Planetize the Movement. He has inspired minds and hearts at hundreds of events in many countries, performing poetry and keynoting on justice, ecology, cosmology, activism, democracy and compassion.
- Jul 22: IONS 16th International Conference
- Apr 06: The Mountaintop Vision: Martin Luther King's Cosmology of Connection
- Mar 23: The Power of Art to Planetize the Movement
- Feb 04: Gate 2 & Gate Transformational Story Conference
- Dec 27: The Galactic Tour
JOIN PLANETIZE THE MOVEMENT!
- Kripal on the super natural
- Prince, 1958-2016
- Steph Curry is nothing like Michael Jordan. And that's why he's the next Michael jordan.
- Noam Chomsky predicts Trump phenomenon in the 1990s
- What's missing from the stories on Ehrlichman, Nixon, and the racist "War on Drugs"? Haldeman's corroborating quote.
- Beatrice as inspiration
- Go See Michael Moore's New Film, "Where to Invade Next"
- Vine Deloria on Wakan Tanka